TurtleBot, our inspiration source. You can read the whole of it. I was too much excited reading that and looking a lot of videos of it, then decided to make one of my own.
This post is all about the design and structure of the turtlebot that we made. I am far from being a Pro, so no CAD software, just a direct integration of Me and a Carpenter.
Except the hardware part that as always excites me, this time the Software Framework was in ROS and I was in love with that already. The people has written it in an awesome way. I really fell for the client server architecture and the Inter Process communication idea and its applications in ROS. The abstraction for user do the tasks is very high. I will say that it is like the Arduino for Robots, most of the things work out of the box. No hassles.
But like all those Hardware Enthusiasts who likes to make PCBs, circuits, power rating, calculation stuff and everything by their own, I was fascinated by this thing too. And morevoer, it was all so boring in the vacations, gotta do something. So I had a few printouts of the Turtlebot and ran for the construction for the carpenters. After a few tries I got someone who was ready to make such a design with my modifications.
Size was really an confusing option because I want to use that thing in my home for real, thought of making this as a real product not just the prototype. So Atleast plates and dishes and other items can be served on it.
P.S. I am a waiter when someone comes at our home. Mehmaan bhagwaan hota h! Full khatirdaari. I assumed that this may put an end or some relief for me atleast.
I made the lower base as of 16inches in diameter, initially when the Ply was getting cut It looked big, but afterwards when I thought of adjusting the 4 motors, and other things like Tyres, Controller board and motor drivers, battery with all the wiring; wooof! I got it. The higher platforms of the BOT, I say them levels, are of 14inches in diameter and just to give them some different look I made them cut in polygonal shape. The center piece, the framing body I used stainless steel rods, which are real tough and light in weight not like iron or wooden supports. Steel gives the look too 🙂
Shantanu and Yadav, the bigger contributors finally stepped in and started the work. All the odometric sensors were made and the related calculations were done.
Odometric sensors gave interrupt and thus we calculated the number of interrupts in one rotation of the wheel and thus Shantanu applied Mathematics to calculate the total distance and current angle from the two wheels.
Heading angle was also given by the Inertial Management Unit i.e. the Magnetometer only. We really didn’t get to use the LIDAR by now. Just the Kinect worked successfully with the desired applicaton.
Above is the internals of the Basement, Following is the video for the little thing we have done till now. The kinect detects the skeleton and thus we track the torso of the person it sees.
You can mute the audio, our noise sucked more, I guarantee that. 🙂